Saturday, May 23, 2026

Trump Urges Iranians to Seize Institutions as Tehran Blames U.S. for Unrest

4 months ago
1 min read

WASHINGTON: Former U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday called on Iranians to intensify nationwide demonstrations and “take over your institutions,” declaring that “help is on its way,” even as Iran’s leadership tightened its crackdown on the biggest wave of protests in years. Tehran, meanwhile, accused Washington of inciting violence and destabilizing the country.

“Iranian Patriots, KEEP PROTESTING — TAKE OVER YOUR INSTITUTIONS!!! … HELP IS ON ITS WAY,” Trump wrote on Truth Social, without clarifying what kind of support he was promising. He said he had canceled engagements with Iranian officials until what he called the “senseless killing” of protesters ceased, later warning demonstrators to “remember the names of the killers and abusers” who he said would “pay a very big price.”

An Iranian official acknowledged that roughly 2,000 people had been killed nationwide, the first time authorities have publicly indicated a massive toll. Rights group HRANA reported 2,003 confirmed deaths, including 1,850 protesters, and said 16,784 people had been detained, far higher than earlier estimates. Pressed on what “help” meant, Trump suggested reporters would “figure that out,” once again saying military options remained available while awaiting a detailed briefing. The U.S. State Department urged American citizens to leave Iran immediately, including via land routes.

Tehran accused the U.S. and Israel of orchestrating the unrest. Iran’s UN Ambassador Amir Saeid Iravani said Washington was threatening sovereignty, writing to the UN Security Council that the U.S. and Israel bore “direct and undeniable legal responsibility” for civilian deaths. Russia warned against foreign interference, saying any U.S. action would have “disastrous consequences” for the region. Iran’s Foreign Minister Abbas Araqchi confirmed continued communication with U.S. envoy Steve Witkoff, saying Tehran was reviewing American proposals.

Trump also warned of “very strong action” if Iran executed protesters, amid reports from rights groups of looming hangings, though these claims could not be independently verified and Iranian state media has not confirmed them. Communication restrictions continue to obscure developments, though the UN says phone access has partially returned. U.S.-based Holistic Resilience claimed Elon Musk’s Starlink service was being made freely available in Iran.

The unrest began after a severe currency collapse and has expanded into demands for political change, posing one of the most serious challenges to Iran’s leadership in years. At the same time, large pro-government rallies have also taken place across several Iranian cities, with supporters condemning foreign interference and backing the state highlighting a sharply polarized society.

European governments summoned Iranian diplomats amid rising global concern. “The rising death toll is horrifying,” said European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen. German Chancellor Friedrich Merz claimed Iran’s leadership was weakening, saying a regime that survives “only through violence” is already nearing its end.

-Frances Osterman

READ THE FULL E-MAGAZINE | WorldAffairs: Understand the World Before It Shapes You

Categories

Arabian Wall Street Magazine

Banner

Latest Posts

UAE Withdraws from Yemen
Previous Story

UAE Withdraws All Troops from Yemen as Saudi-STC Tensions Threaten Coalition Breakdown

A large Maersk container ship, such as the Cornelia Maersk, navigating the turquoise waters of the Suez Canal with the Egyptian desert in the background.
Next Story

Maersk Restarts Trans-Suez Canal Shipping on MECL Service

Read Magazine

Don't Miss

Iran, US Split on Sanctions Relief Ahead of March Talks

TEHRAN: Iran and the United States remain divided over the scope and

Y A S Developers Unveils Casa Altia: A New Luxury Residential Project in Al Furjan

Y A S Developers, a well-established name in the global real estate